2021-2022 Curriculum Catalog

Transfer Credit Policy

Acceptance of Credit to Antioch College

Acceptance of credit from colleges and universities, accredited or not, is at the sole discretion of the College. The evaluation of coursework completed at another college or university is considered on a case-by-case basis and determined upon review and evaluation of official transcripts, course descriptions, and course syllabi after acceptance to Antioch College. The Registrar’s Office will facilitate the approval process between the student and division or program.

  1. Antioch College allows each student up to two full years of academic credit and one co-op experience from all transfer sources, including:
    1. Advanced Placement exams
    2. International Baccalaureate exams
    3. Coursework from other colleges or universities
    4. Workplace experience
    5. Military coursework
  2. Courses with grades lower than a C are not transferable.
  3. Course(s) considered for transfer credit must be appropriate for degree requirements at Antioch College.
  4. Grades earned at other colleges and universities are not transferable or included in the calculation of grade point averages at Antioch College.
  5. Remedial courses are not acceptable for transfer credits.
  6. Competency or proficiency credit earned from an exam at another college or university is not acceptable transfer credit.
  7. Antioch does not accept credit for correspondence courses.
  8. Antioch College’s language requirement is proficiency based. While credit for language courses may be accepted, new and transfer students must take a language proficiency assessment prior to initial enrollment for course-level placement in languages offered at Antioch College.
  9. Antioch College accepts credit for online or distance learning courses.
  10. Antioch College students who are considering taking coursework at another college or university, whether currently attending or on leave or suspension, with the intent of transferring those credits to Antioch College must obtain prior approval from the registrar. Coursework submitted for transfer that has not been pre-approved will not be considered.
  11. Credits earned by matriculated students through consortial arrangements (including, but not limited to GLCA, SOCHE, study abroad programs, etc.) do not count against the credit transfer limit. However, not more than 20/45 quarter credits (or 13/30 semester credits) of consortial credits may apply to the credit earned in the fourth year.

Credit for AP and IB Examinations

Credits are awarded for appropriate scores earned on selected Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) examinations. Incoming first-year and transfer students with sufficiently high scores on appropriate AP and IB exams of the appropriate level may receive academic credit for their scores. Credits associated with acceptance of AP and IB scores will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Students are encouraged to inquire at the Registrar’s Office for more information. Note that credits awarded for exam scores count against a student’s total allowable transfer credits, and are subject to all of the policies regarding transfer of credit. Official score results must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office. An AP/IB transfer chart is posted on the college website, which identifies approved course considerations and additional specifications in relation to credit for AP and IB examinations.

Transfer Placement for Relevant Work Experience

Students who transfer to Antioch College with at least second-year status may be eligible for placement into the Co-Op Field Experience for Transfer Students (COOP 125T) course during their first term of enrollment and may have their prior work experience counted as one of the cooperative educational experiences required for a Bachelor’s Degree. Co-Op Field Experience for Transfer Students is a 0-credit course that entails reading and reflective writing assignments about learning from work. This course must be taken concurrently with EXPR 145 Foundations of Community Action: Preparation for Cooperative Education.  Upon successful completion of COOP 125T, students will be awarded a 12-credit Cooperative Education Experience. In order to qualify for placement into COOP 125T, the following criteria must be met:

  1. Students must have worked in a paid position within one calendar year of matriculation at Antioch College.
  2. Students must have worked a minimum of 300 clock hours (work hours themselves are not applicable to receiving transfer credit).
  3. An Employment Verification Form must be submitted prior to matriculation to the Office of Admissions for applicant file completion and co-op/registrar referral purposes.

Courses and Examinations Not Accepted for Transfer of Credit

Antioch College reserves the right to deny credit for courses that are not compatible with those offered in its undergraduate degree programs. Some general categories of courses and examinations never receive transfer credit. Examples of courses and examinations that are not accepted for transfer of credit include:

  • Remedial courses considered below college level (usually numbered below 100)
  • Courses offered for non-credit continuing education units
  • Courses providing instruction in English as a Second Language (including 100-level or above)
  • Examinations offered by the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • Competency or proficiency credit earned from an exam at another college or university
  • Correspondence Courses

Indicators on Transcript

Grades earned at other colleges and universities are not transferable and are not included in the calculation of grade point averages at Antioch College. Transfer credit for courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C. Grades and grade points for courses transferred will not be reflected on the transcript. Transfer credits are recorded with a grade indicator of a T and the hours are included in the student’s earned hours.

Transfer credit for courses for which a student earned a grade of P (pass) will only be considered if the transcript clearly states that a grade of P is equivalent to a grade of C. Courses with No Pass (NP), Credit (CR) or No Credit (NC) or other similar indicators on a transcript under transfer review are not considered transferable.

Military Credit

Credits awarded for Armed Forces Training Schools (AFTS) coursework may be considered for transfer credit. Official military transcripts must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office for evaluation prior to matriculation. No credit is awarded for Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) programs unless the specific programs align with Antioch’s curricular offerings.

Overlapping Content

If a division or program considers two of its courses to have overlapping content, credit will be awarded for only one. For example, if a transfer course in Chemistry has overlapping content in General Chemistry I (CHEM 105) and General Chemistry II (CHEM 160), credit is granted for either CHEM 105 or CHEM 160, or the course will be transferred in as a different type of single course. Divisions, programs or courses in which such overlapping occurs, may include, but are not limited to: Anthropology, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Sciences, Political Economy, Foreign Languages, History, Literature, Mathematics, Media Arts, Performance, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology and Visual Arts.

Restricted Transfer Credit

Transfer credit will not generally be awarded for vocational or technical courses unless the specific courses align with Antioch’s curricular offerings.

Transfer Credit Evaluation Process

The process for the internal evaluation of transfer credit is:

  1. The Office of Admission must receive official transcripts from credit-granting institution.
  2. In some instances, the College may request course descriptions and/or course syllabi to complete a transfer credit evaluation.
  3. The Office of Admission conducts a preliminary evaluation of transfer credit if unofficial transcripts are received with the Application for Admission.
  4. The Office of Admission forwards official documents to the Registrar’s Office for formal determination of transfer credit.
  5. The Registrar’s Office inspects the student’s documents and determines which courses would be appropriate for transfer consideration.
  6. To transfer as specific course(s) in the catalog, the course(s) must be appropriately matched (i.e. does “General Psychology” at another institution match our “General Psychology” closely enough to be considered equivalent).
  7. Courses that do not match closely will be transferred as transfer container courses, and will most likely be electives.
  8. The Registrar will consult individual faculty members in appropriate areas if there are questions regarding the equivalency of specific courses.
  9. The Registrar’s office sends a copy of the Transfer Credit Evaluation to the student and the student’s academic advisor. A copy of the evaluation is placed in the student’s academic file.
  10. The Registrar’s Office forwards to the Cooperative Education Department any documents supporting transfer credit for previous work experience. If transfer credit for the previous work experience is deemed appropriate, the Registrar will contact the student with instructions about how to earn that credit (see Transfer Placement for Relevant Work Experience above).

After consulting their advisor, students may choose to amend their request as to which courses will be considered for transfer. Examples include:

  • A student who enters with an interest in a psychology degree may instead major in literature, at which time the initial evaluation may need to be modified to reflect this change. The student must request a transfer credit re-evaluation, which can be done through the Registrar’s Office. Once re-evaluation is completed, the student’s transfer credit will be updated in the academic information system.
  • A student may provide additional or updated transcripts if additional credit was earned from another institution of higher education prior to the student’s initial term of enrollment, or if a newer transcript shows courses completed as opposed to in progress.

A student may choose to withdraw their request for courses to be transferred, or may choose only to transfer in select courses.